Sunday, September 14, 2014

Too Cute

-->

One of my favorite TV shows on cable is the program “TOO CUTE.” If you’re not already a loyal fan, you soon will be as your follow the lives of newborn puppies and kitties in the early days of their lives. As a therapist I would highly recommend watching this show for at least 10 minutes every day when you are feeling depressed or upset. The energy of these tiny fur balls are sure to restore your spirits and bring back a smile to your everyday life.

Something else that brought a smile was a recent baptism ceremony that took place in our church. Mom wanted her three children to be baptized and the people of this community welcomed the family with open arms. What no one was prepared for was the moment when one little daughter was too scared to get near the baptismal font. After baptizing her older sister, it was this little girl’s turn and we put a stool set near the font for her to hop on to receive the water.

However, I was grinning because grandma was trying to “drag her granddaughter to the waters.” This little one did not want to go near that font. Perhaps, we should have practiced with this frighten little girl, but her mother came to rescue with a practical solution to make it safe for her daughter.

Mom leaned over the font and told her daughter to bow her head with mom over the baptism bowl. The little one quieted down and bowed her head with mom. It must have been terrifying for this little girl not knowing what I was going to pour over her head. But there was a moment, when she settled down and I gently poured the sacred waters and offered the prayer, “I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

When this part of the service was over, I smiled at the congregation and said “I glad we got though that part of the service." Mom was wonderful and what started as awkward and embarrassing turned out to be a beautiful service.

I wonder how many grownups feel like this child coming to church. You may have invited people at home or in your family to come to Mass, but there’s always an excuse. So rather than dragging them to church, you might want to use the tactics of this compassionate mom. Simply tell your family and friends that you are going to church to get your hair done and coming back with a new hairstyle. They may make faces at you like what did you say, but it will make them curious and want to know what is going on in your church. 

By the way if you want to see a "too cute" moment in church, make a date to join us next Sunday on September 21st when I will be baptizing four children of all ages. I can’t wait to see their faces as they led up to the baptismal font.

God prays for us as we reflect: “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; that I know very well.”
(Psalm 139:14).        

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who are reluctant to come near the font, the altar or inside the church in fear that the Lord may ask to much.
Fear not, it is the Lord’s invitation to simply walk with the Lord all the days of your life.