Saturday, January 25, 2014

You Got To Be Kidding

-->
I walked into the door of the local country post office and I could see from the expression on the clerk’s face that something was terribly wrong. A customer was waiting at her desk, another senior lady was behind him and the clerk informed me that it would be awhile because her computer was “frozen.”

This frustrated postal clerk was on the phone with “tech support.” But from the moaning I overheard it sounded more like “damage control.” “You got to be kidding,” she mumbled talking to customer service. “It has never taken this long before” she shared with the rest of us. Our senior lady piped up with the profound comment  “computers are the ruin of humanity.”  I would not go that far, but the problem appeared that the clerk’s login name and password were not allowing her to complete any transactions.

I learned that the young man at the desk ordered a money order. He had given the clerk his money, but she was unable to print out the money order and worse her moneybox was locked and she could not open it because her computer was “frozen.”

The senior lady I believe was an angel in disguise since she needed eight books of stamps and she had the exact change to pay with cash. She wanted to be helpful and told the clerk that if this were happening to her “she would be in tears.”

Our senior angel gave her cash to the clerk and said she hoped it was enough to return the money back to the young man who was waiting for his money order. What a sweetie!

To be confronted with a frozen computer, or placed “on hold” with tech support sadly is a common experience in our tech savvy world. What is not so savvy is how we choose to respond. How would you handle this annoying situation? Our postal clerk was kicking the boxes, rolling her eyes and mumbling: “you got to be kidding.” When she hung up the phone and discovered that her computer was still inoperable she told me that she could not help at this time. I told her that it was not her fault that she was doing the best she could and I would return another day.

The reality is that you are going to face lots of situations that are not in your control. The next time your computer screen goes blue, you will cry like a baby. Thank you Mr. Gates. But our relief comes in a faith that says yes there is suffering in the world and our faith gives us the patience and perseverance to hang tight. Don’t lose your cool. All computer glitches eventually get fixed but hopefully not at the expense of our health or sanity.

God prays for us as we rake our brains over things we can’t control:
“And now, O Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in you. (Psalm 39:7).

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who are terrorized by computers that break down and ruin our moods. Help us to refocus our frustrations and be like that senior lady who rose to the occasion and helped as best she could. I bet she was angel and how wonderful to behold!