Sunday, March 03, 2013

A Second Chance

 

Many times we have been guilty of struggling with some unhealthy habit with little success. However, we pray to a God who like the gardener in this story tells the farmer to “hold on before you rip out the roots” for you just never know that there might be some life left in that tree that can bear good fruit.

The following is a letter a patient wrote and shared with me on his last visit. Take his humble words as inspiration to help you manage the bramble in your life. For God always sees the good in our hearts.

“These past few weeks have been quite an eye opener. I really didn’t realize how much I was ruining my life. Almost losing my job and respect from many close people in my life. But all that has changed. My employer has given me a second chance at work. And with the help of Dr. Matt and my coaches, they have made me realize there is another way to deal with life without having to smoke pot.

I have taken one day at a time. At work, I still do my job at 110% and if things seem to get stressful I stop and take a moment to calm myself knowing that I can control the situation. I have many people who are supporting me that I didn’t even know have my back. Many have praised me for my effort at this time in my life.  I didn’t even know that they cared. That makes me feel good. My eating habits have become healthier and food actually tastes better. Now I even sleep better and longer and I can remember my dreams, which I never did. I wake up in the morning get out of bed with a better attitude. I know each day won’t always be easy. And that where I know I will be tested by my mistress as Dr. Matt calls her, my pot, that is. And I tell myself, your better than her and you don’t need her.

I’ve also been trying to educate other people who are in my shoes. I look back on my life smoking pot and ask myself was it really worth it. All the things I could have lost. The people I hurt. The respect of family, friends, people at work. The answer is NO! I know it is not going to be easy, but the way I feel now. I know I can do it!”

Ask yourself, what do you want to change in your life, so that you can be the best version of yourself. As you seek God's mercy this Lent, know that Our Lord will give you a second chance and the grace you need to make that big change in your life.

God plants what is good as we pray: The fig tree forms its early fruit; the blossoming vines spread their fragrance. Arise, come, my darling, my beautiful one, come with me.” (Song of Songs 2:12-14). 
Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who wrestle with sin and selfishness. However, our Divine Gardener knows exactly what we need to flourish and bloom. Let him dig at our roots and help us produce an abundant crop of kindness and patience.