Sunday, December 09, 2012

Removing the Obstacles




The twelfth thing of Christmas that's such a pain to me:
Singing Christmas carols
Stale TV specials
"Batteries Not Included"
No parking!
Lots of whining!
More special collections!! (Note: the people laughed at this line each time)
Making Christmas dinner!
Five months of bills!
Sending Christmas cards
Drinking too much beer!
Rigging outside lights!
And finding a Christmas tree

Needless to say, I was wayyyyy off key, but all these complaints sum up the attitude of many people during this holiday. Instead of joy, people are worn out, whinny, and uncharitable. I thought this was a perfect introduction to a Penance Service in which the Lord invites us to remove the obstacles that prevent us from reflecting His light and love.

At this service, I invited all ht people to come down the aisle to share the gift that they needed most from God this Advent. Not so surprising, it was PATIENCE! We need patience to cope with those in-laws, bosses, co-workers, Christmas dinners, cards and lights that drive us up the wall with their whining and complaints,

It has become a tradition for me to offer God’s healing touch, so I simply place my hands on their cheeks and whisper these words: “May the gentle, loving Lord forgive you your sins and bring you peace.” The eyes say it all when they leave my hands for I can see the calm and relief as they walk away knowing humbly in their hearts that God loves them despite our lack of patience, charity and complaining.

My Sonshine Friends, for all the times I interrupted your work to ask another favor, for all the times I did not pay attention to your concerns, forgive this humble servant. Yes, I am grateful for your kind support in my new ministry to refresh a closed Catholic faith community that is now on fire with God’s love helping the poor and homeless.

This week I learned to make Christmas wreaths and learned a new trick from my floral designers. The young wreath designer showed me how to tuck in the last evergreens so that the other side overlaps and the wreath looks perfect! Now, if I can just master tying a bow for all those Christmas gifts.

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who yearn for patience in coping with the turmoil of the holidays. In this moment of silence, take a breath and know that God is listening and wants you to know that He loves you all very much. Hope to see you all on Christmas Eve.