Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Lost Kitty



It is pitch dark outside and our worse fears are taking over us as I am screaming “Greee…Greee….” My shouts can be heard all over Genesee County. I walked toward my neighbor’s home where Mrs. McDonald keeps lots of kitties inside her home. Searching with my flashlight, I discover a kitty with a tan coat that looks somewhat like Greian, but Mrs. McDonald identifies this kitty as Mittens. My heart sinks to the ground thinking I had found our girl only to realize that she has a twin stepbrother.

The search continues for two hours and I am praying to all the saints to help us find this lost kitty who is in danger of being swooped up by a hawk or taken away by a fox or an assortment of predators. Please God help us find our Gecian. She might have enjoyed the thrill of leaving her home for the first time in ten years exploring a new world. But at this late hour, she would be hungry and crying to find her way back home for dinner.

I am now searching along the woods and shouting Greee…Grees. and suddenly spot two eyes glistening in the darkness. I have no idea if it is our Greian, but I move closer and see the color is correct. The cat moves slowly away from the light and disappears. You got to be kidding. I had her in my sights and she disappears into the darkness. Please God, help us find this lost kitten. Greee…Greee.. and after a few minutes the eyes appear again. I lower the light from her eyes and keep track of her location. We move in slowly and she walks slowly into a bramble of bushes. On our hands and knees we crawl up closer to this cat and slowly reach out to cuddle her back into safety. But who is this cat? Is it Greian or Mittens? We check to see if this tan kitty has black spots on its nose. We can hardly see in the dark but with a closer look the spots are there. It is our Grecian!

When have you had a moment where your heart sank to the bottom of your feet because the love of your life walks away. At these moments we pray up a storm asking God to help us through the tears and fear that we will never see our loved ones again. For some, it could be there spouse being deployed to a combat zone, for another, there child gets involved in drugs, or worse, a spouse walks away from the marriage. What is your darkness?

For some people, Grecian is only a cat that found a way to steal a few a moments of freedom because someone was careless and left the door open. Our take is that she is an innocent animal that needed our protection and diligence to help find its way home.

That’s what God is like. Our light in times of storms, our protection when we find ourselves walking in the darkness, our shepherd who comes to our rescue when we are in danger and feel all alone.

God watches over us as we pray: “We trust in the Lord, as the Lord rescues us. The Lord deliver us, since he delights in each one of us.” (Psalm 22:8).

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends who feel that they are walking in darkness at this moment. Let my dear friends hear the voice of God calling their name not to be afraid for God comes to rescue us from all our fears and pain. Grecian is now safety back home enjoying her dinner and resting on my lap fast asleep.