Sunday, March 04, 2012

Looking Over

Two friends were walking down a country road. One was really troubled. He was expressing his doubt about God, about His goodness, "I don't know what I am to do with all this trouble and worry" he said. At that moment his friend noticed a cow looking over a stonewall. "Do you know why that cow is looking over the stone wall?" he asked his friend. "No" was the reply of the troubled friend. "I will tell you, because the cow can't see “through the wall.” He went on to say that that was what you must do with your wall of troubles. Look over it. Look above it.

My spiritual director, a retired college professor whose faith I admire very much shared his personal experience on the way to the operating room. He began his email with this comment: “Did what? You were once again my ‘hospital buddy’! I had a miracle that God bestowed on me at this time. I was more than a bit worried as the date for my operation was drawing near as the surgeon indicated a sense of urgency as the earliest available date he could get me into the hospital was over two weeks and he was trying to move that date up if at all possible so my prayers were a bit more urgent right up to the morning of the surgery.

At that time, I thought of Jesus words when He taught us to pray "The Lord's Prayer" and he said that we should not go babbling on as our Father knew what we needed and we should just trust in Him. At that time my prayer just became "Father, Thy will be done to me as you will it. I put all of my worries and my concerns in Your hands and know that whatever happens here is Your will which I gratefully receive." Ever since that moment, I have felt the greatest sense of peace and well being. So, not only is my corporal body on the mend so is my spiritual body being strengthened.

To every Sonshine friend - no matter where you are, what country you are in, "look over your problems" How? By faith. The same faith my spiritual mentor prayed before his surgery that will enable you to look over and above every trouble to God who is your help. Remember, always, God sees over the fence of your life.

Immanuel prays for us as we reflect; “You have delivered me from all my troubles, and my eyes have looked in triumph on my foes.” Psalm 54:7).

Lord, I pray for all my Sonshine Friends that there are many sermons seen and not heard. For those, I thank you. I ask a special blessing on their eyes, that they may lift them up and over.